After a very cold cold season, I have to say that i am grateful for the sun. I can now be able to spend more time outdoors and with that comes the excuse to hang out with my friends and indulge in a few drinks. In the event that you are hanging out with your pals and you are tired of the same old, here are some simple cocktail ideas that you can try out;
The sweetness of coconut cream, pineapple juice and white rum marry to produce a drink that packs quite the punch. You will hardly taste the alcohol which makes it quite lethal.
- 1 part white rum ( Kenya Cane Coconut)
- 2 parts pineapple juice (Pick n Peel Pineapple)
- 1 part coconut cream
- 1 part coconut water (madafu) – this is optional.
Another white rum recipe that isn’t one to be played with. It’s perfect for sunny days due to the coolness of the fresh mint and ice. You hardly taste the alcohol in this too so tread carefully.
- 1 1/2 to 2 shots of white rum (Barcardi)
- Fresh mint leaves (add to your liking)
- 1/2 lime cut into wedges
- Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup of club soda (lemon and lime flavour)
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
This is probably the easiest cocktail to make. Now that the sun is out, I think it would be a great cocktail for brunch. All you need are two ingredients.
- 1 part of chilled and freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 part of dry, sparkling wine (Most Prosecco brand wines are sparkling wines. They are produced ‘brut’ style making them dry wines)
This is a sweet and easy to make cocktail that is quite strong. All you need is vodka, lime and some sugar syrup.
- 2 to 2 1/2 shots of vodka
- 1/2 to 1 shot of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 to 1 shot of simple syrup
To make a simple syrup, you need one part of water and one part of sugar. Heat the water in a sufuria. Ensure it doesn’t boil. While the water is still on the burner, add in sugar and stir until it dissolves. Remove and let it cool. Store it in the fridge and use as needed.
Margaritas are not exactly the sweetest or easiest cocktails to drink in my opinion but after a few sips, you start to enjoy the slightly salty and bitter taste of the drink.
- 1 to 1 1/2 shot of tequila (Camino or Jose Cuervo. Whether it’s blanc or gold, doesn’t make much difference. It all boils down to your preference)
- 1 shot of lime juice
- 1 shot of triple sec/ orange liqueur ( Butlers or Cointreau)
- Salt to line the rim of the glass
You can buy triple sec here.